Updated: Feb 9, 2021
COVID-19 seems to be creating no end to our challenges. Much to our beagles’ delight, many people have transitioned to working from home. This, however, may ultimately come at a cost. You may find your beagle suffering from separation anxiety when you finally return to the workplace. Fortunately, there are a number of aids available to help you through this difficult time.
· COVID-19 and separation anxiety in pets, Emily Cook, July 14, 2020. For signs of separation anxiety and what to do, visit her article on the Ontario SPCA and Humane Society website at https://ontariospca.ca/blog/covid-19-and-separation-anxiety-in-pets/.
· At home with your dog all day? Expert says don't let them get used to it, Brooklyn Currie, CBC News, Apr 18, 2020. Keeping a routine, giving them time alone could help keep separation anxiety at bay. Visit https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/dogs-separation-anxiety-covid-19-1.5535834 .
· Preventing separation anxiety after Covid-19, courtesy of Fear Free Happy Homes (https://fearfreehappyhomes.com). Kenneth Martin, DVM, DACVB and Debbie Martin, LVT, VTS (Behavior) provide tips to help prevent separation anxiety and what to do if you suspect your dog already has separation anxiety. Check the PDF online at https://fearfreehappyhomes.com/?ddownload=207488&fbclid=IwAR3nZ6Bz5z84sG33AlCU5nqaYsylXLDjMA1fheNKcrzIcP0V8F2qcXWLTuc.
· The American SPCA (ASPCA), https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/dog-care/common-dog-behavior-issues/separation-anxiety, provides more in-depth information about separation anxiety including potential causes, symptoms and remedies.
· Dogsintl, Common Dog Behavior Issues and How to Treat Them - Dogsintl, explains common canine behavioural problems (including separation anxiety!), how they form, and how dog owners can mediate these issues.